Political Spat of the Day: Mitt Romney’s wife Ann joined Twitter this week to publicly refute DNC adviser Hilary Rosen’s assertion on CNN that, “Guess what, his wife has actually never worked a day in her life.”
“I made a choice to stay home and raise five boys,” reads Romney’s first tweet, posted shortly after Rosen’s comments aired. “Believe me, it was hard work.”
The Obama campaign jumped to Romney’s defense.
“I could not disagree with Hilary Rosen any more strongly. Her comments were wrong and family should be off limits. She should apologize,” tweeted Obama campaign manager Jim Messina.
Rosen responded via Twitter: “I’ve nothing against @AnnRomney. I just don’t want Mitt using her as an expert on women struggling $ to support their family. She isn’t.”
While no Betty White, Romney has 18,000 followers and counting.
There are a number of things wrong here:
1. Saying Mrs. Romney doesn’t work. Being a parent full-time is most certainly work.
2.Mitt Romney saying that his very privileged wife is a good bellwether of what women care about, is ludicrous.
3. Anybody engaging in prescriptivist bs needs to step off.
The thing that just irritated the fuck out of me in this situation was Josh Romney’s tweet that said something to the effect of “My mom could have done anything in the world. She chose to stay home and raise me.” That sort of shit raises my hackles, because I’m a paycheck-earning working mother, and I AM raising my son, thanks very much. The accusation that working mothers dump their kids off for “strangers to raise” is completely implicit in this entire discussion and frankly it makes me sick. I’ve been accused of that to my face by any number of people, and believe me, they really wish they hadn’t. One of them is no longer a friend of mine.
What Rosen was saying is that Mrs. Romney doesn’t have to go out into the world and earn money for her family, figure out what to do about child care and struggle to pay for it, therefore her understanding of the majority of women who DO is damned limited, so perhaps there could be other people that could give Ol’ Mitt a perspective on “women’s issues,” (which, childcare and working parenthood issues aren’t and shouldn’t be characterized as the purview of women alone, either, FFS.)
ARGH. Sorry, but this really burned me up today.
^See above for part of the discussion, see below for more.
Here’s the thing, Ann Romney is burning my brain because she has simultaneously managed to COMPLETELY co-opt the lives of women who stay home and do the actual ALL DAY LONG JOB of being homemakers. I’m not talking about women with nannies and housekeepers or cleaning ladies, I’m talking about women who do the actual work all day long. For whatever reasons they choose to do it, for most women who are homemakers, it is a real job.
Ann Romney has never had to experience that. So: STFU, class-privileged twits.
And then she disses women who are working mothers.
The vast majority of women/parents don’t have a choice about whether they go to work. Whether a parent wants to stay home, most of the time they actually have to work outside the home because otherwise there is no home or food on the table.
The intersectionality, which I (posting from phone) was trying to call out, is that just because Ann Romney is privileged as fuck, doesn’t mean that stay-at-home moms are all privileged, ignorant asshats. It also doesn’t mean prescriptivist feminism gets to rear its ugly head and act as though all working moms/parents work outside the home.
Not to mention, the gender bullshit is nauseating.
- trackingbrandyg likes this
- zedsdeadbebe reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- zacharius likes this
- thetwosparrows reblogged this from carolina-is-not-a-state
- iamacollectionofmiscellanyandtea likes this
- afractalparticle likes this
- batraquomancy likes this
- undutchable11 likes this
- vanweyden reblogged this from thedailywhat
- huzzahtuesday likes this
- pastpenelope- likes this
- simplyscott reblogged this from carnivaloftherandom
- carnivaloftherandom reblogged this from mazarin221b and added:
- hiseternalseraphicendeavor likes this
- omletlove likes this
- polycule reblogged this from newly-poly-nyc and added:
- beleagueredandbeset likes this
- grumpygus likes this
- gunpowderandlead-x likes this
- bpdd likes this
- alexandurr reblogged this from thedailywhat
- almostnormal-ish likes this
- katsavegan likes this
- gingerbeerswag reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- vagabondoperatic likes this
- someareblindtoitsbeauty reblogged this from someplaceafterhours
- annyoudeviousbastard likes this
- formermaleprostitute likes this
- taken-out--of-context reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- jomarch likes this
- ouchthroat likes this
- dresdendollface reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- dark-industries likes this
- eren-jaeger-b0mbastic likes this
- wubywoo likes this
- k9ofchaos reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- madrona8 reblogged this from mazarin221b and added:
- sallybethwhitman likes this
- fuckfuckfuckingfuckyou likes this
- blerdgirlchronicles likes this
- cankerinahedge reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- grendels-mother likes this
- elpollodelamuerte likes this
- acquaintedwithrask reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- nawaazish reblogged this from thedailywhat and added:
- cantphotosynthesizeintherain reblogged this from thedailywhat
- nawaazish likes this
- appolsaucy reblogged this from honeysunk
- tontontonberry reblogged this from velinthesky
- tontontonberry likes this