do action movies know they can have more than one female character
This reminds me of the discussion I had over the weekend, about how marvel looks so progressive compared to other action movies because their latest round of films have two women per movie.
They both have FOUR WOMEN or more, with significant lead or supporting roles.
Thor:TDW: Jane, Darcy, Sif, Frigga
CATWS: Natasha, Maria, Sharon, Councilwoman Hawley, Peggy Carter.
And there can be MORE, obv.
Both also pass Bechdel.
Anthony Mackie photographed by Nicholas Maggio.
Idegaf if it’s already in my queue.
Via naked & articulate
I swear to god, folks: hitrecord is giving us GOLDEN OPPORTUNITIES HERE. Let’s make stuff!
I’m starting a collaboration RE: Fat, which will be a potential theme for one of our Season 2 episodes - RECord your thoughts, write a story, draw a picture, or make a song regarding this theme.
ALL ARTISTS: Write a story, draw a picture, or make a song regarding this theme.
EVERYONE W/ A CAMERA: RECord a video testimonial regarding this theme, or specifically answer:
- "What does the word Fat mean to you?"
- "Do you consider Fat to be beautiful? Be specific."
- "Is Fat shameful? Be specific."
- "Is it always a good thing that the Fat content in our foods is so heavily advertised?"
- "Have you ever been stereotyped as Fat or treated differently because of your weight? Be specific."
- "Have you ever judged someone else by their weight? If so, how and why?"
- "How has the Media altered your view on Fat? Be specific."
Bobtail Squid by Yo’s underwater pics
its skin looks starry
its eyes look like nebulae
it’s a space squid
ALL HAIL THE TINY SPACE SQUID!
I would accept this guy as Earth’s new supreme ruler
Shh… Cthluhu is dreaming. Soon he will awaken and devour us all.
BOW DOWN AND WELCOME YOUR TINY SPACE OVERLORD
Aya Kamikawa: Why she kicks ass
- She is the only openly transgender official in Japan at this point, and the first to seek or win elected office in Japan.
- She won a four-year term as an independent under huge media attention, placing sixth of 72 candidates running for 52 seats in the Setagaya ward assembly, the most populous district in Tokyo. In April 2007, she was re-elected to her second term, placing second of 71 candidates running for 52 in the same ward assembly.
- While the government announced that they would continue to consider her male officially, she stated that she would work as a woman.
- She is devoted to work for various groups, the disabled, single-parent families, homeless people to evening junior high school students, LGBT people and to improve rights for women, children, the elderly. She strives to give support for these people and bring positive changes which would help them in society.
- She was also a committee member for Trans-net Japan (a self-support group for transgender people) and organised meetings and social events to give support and symposiums to raise the public awareness.
Gail Simone appreciation.
You want to know where the kickass women in comics are?
LOOK AT THESE COVERS. :)
These fierce, dangerous and amazing characters?
I GET TO WRITE THEM, YO.
Via APE IN A CAPE
in which Totoro boops Mana Ashida on the head.
Japanese child actress Mana was embarrassed that she couldn’t pronounce Guillermo Del Toro’s name so he gave her special permission to call him “Totoro-san” instead.
OMG HE’S TOTORO
NEVER NOT REBLOG GUILLERMO DEL TOTORO
There is nothing I don’t love about this.
paperclippe Have I got a gif for you. (sooooo much better than Russell Crowe looking bored on Saturday night.
Via Insane Ramblings of an Overaged Fangirl
is bullshit advice.
My bigness is not determined by my capacity to quietly absorb bullying, degradation, or abuse.
I can’t be the bigger person when people are committed to making me feel so small.
I shouldn’t have to be the bigger person when people are spending so much time trying to make me feel so small.
I won’t capitulate to the exhortation to be the bigger person when it’s part of how you make me small.
I am the bigger person but that’s not stopping you from trying to make me small.
Why can’t you let me be as big as I already am?
- my reply to oppressive bullshit demanding niceness.
OK, so we could talk about how this is indicative of the ingrained sexism in nerd culture and how it relates to the number of women who wind up getting harassed at sci-fi, comic, and gaming conventions, but seriously, instead, can we talk about how this joke doesn’t even make sense?
“I like fangirls how I like my coffee. I hate coffee.”
Who is the target audience for this sentiment, anyway? How tiny is the Venn diagram crossover for WonderCon attendees who hate women and coffee, and have really bad taste in shirts?
Exclusionism, gatekeeping, passive-aggressive, microaggression bullshit is dull and exhausting.
Would we put up with this if that t-shirt if it was about ANY. OTHER. GROUP. OF. PEOPLE*?
*Black, PoC, LGBT, Children, Poor people, people with disabilities.
Well, if you’d feel like it’s bigoted instead of funny to replace, “Fangirl,” with any other group but think this is hilarious you’re a misogynist.
Nicole Beharie as Black Widow and Pedro Pascal as Hawkeye
→ requested by anonymous
Yoooooo this is perfect.
God yes I accept your headcanon.
“When the Japanese repair broken objects, they aggrandize the damage by filling the cracks with gold. They believe that when something has suffered damage and has a history, it becomes more beautiful.”
"Kintsugi" it’s called, in case you didn’t know and were wondering.
Because we generally need to be reminded of this when it comes to ourselves, and I’ll add what my orthopaedists told me every time I broke my foot: bone is always stronger at the site of a break.